Packing Designer Dresses
Do you have travel nightmares about the wrinkles your new designer dresses will have by the time you reach your destination? Never fear—there are ways to sustain the lines of your clothing even in a suitcase! Try the bundle method, which protects your clothing from wrinkles through an innovative packing routine. After all, the last thing you need to be concerned about is whether your hotel can accommodate your ironing needs.
Here’s how to bundle method your way to travel bliss:
- Gather Everything You Will be Packing. This will help you determine the best size of suitcase to use. Compile your clothes, under garments, pants, shirts, designer dresses, jackets, sweaters, shoes, etc.
- Open Your Suitcase Fully. This method works best with any sized rectangular suitcase that unzips on 3 sides, allowing full access to the case.
- Start with Your Designer Dresses. Lay each item flat in the suitcase. With collars alternating, lay your dresses such that each collar is snug to the end of the suitcase. Lay the garment as flat as possible, with sleeves laid out naturally. Continue with remaining dresses.
- Blouses and Pants Follow. Lay each pair of pants with the waist bands alternating and snug to the ends of the suitcase. Between each pair of pants, place one blouse with the collar snug to the sides of the suitcase—note that the blouses will be placed at 90° angles to the trousers. As with the designer dresses, place the sleeves of each blouse outstretched, button all buttons and alternate collars.
- Make a “Pillow”. With items that do not wrinkle (bathing suits, undergarments, socks, etc.) make a pillow by placing the items in a protective bag. Hint: the bag can be used to isolate soiled clothes during the trip back home! Center the pillow on top of the stacked clothes.
- Wrap the Bundle. Beginning with the last items and working your way out to your designer dresses, carefully “wrap” the ends of each article around the pillow. As you continue down the stack, the bundle will become larger. By the time you reach your designer dresses, there will be a fantastic foundation that will help prevent wrinkles!
- Perimeter Pack. With your bundle now secure, place belts, shoes and other accessories around the perimeter to hold everything in place. Hint: wrap your shoes in socks to protect clothing from dirt.
- Unpacking. Simply work in reverse! You will be pleasantly surprised to discover that a brisk shake will freshen everything up—no ironing required!
Hi, I’m Jennifer, author of webblogs and editorials, I enjoy writing about womens’ fashions, including summer dresses, shoes, and jewelry.